The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.09.03 - Rubbing Strakes & Templates

With someone to help with the steaming of the rubbing strakes and the construction of the template for the cabin sides I expected to get a lot of work done today and I was not disappointed. I invited a friend over to help with some difficult parts of the reconstruction and he said that he would be delighted to come along. After arriving last night and a good night's sleep we set to at just after 8am with steaming the first timber. Naiad was rolled out of the workshop and into the sunshine where we set up the steaming gear and started the first timber going. In the two hours or so that it took to steam we made a start on the template for the cabin sides. Between the pair of us we managed to come up with something that looks pretty good and we felt that the result was fairly pleasing to the eye. Well, to our eyes at least. Then we bent the first timber in place and took a break for elevenses.

We then completed the template by cutting the above deck profile and then worked on the under deck profile and for this we had to screw the template in place since once the profile had been cut we had nothing to support the template. Once we had the template completed it was time for lunch. It took quite some time to get this part of the template right since having marked part out we had to put it back in the hull and screw it in place again to check the fit. Backwards and forwards, check, recheck and check again. The result is, however, worth all the effort.

After lunch Naiad was pushed back into the workshop and the steamer set up inside. as we did with the first timber the steam was injected at the end requiring the most curvature making the timber that end the hottest. While that strake was cooking we marked out the cabin sides from the template on a sheet of marine plywood and cut three of the four pieces out before bending the second timber in place. Then it was tidy everything up and finish for the day. After a cup of tea our friend went back home to Chessington since he has to be at work in London at 6am tomorrow which means a 4:40am start!

A very good day indeed. If I have been by myself for this part of the construction it would have taken around five or six days to complete.

The steamer set up outside in the sunshine. For this timber we did not clamp the strake to the hull as I had done for the gunwales, but propped it up alongside the hull.


Here is the template blank sitting in the hull, levelled and ready to be marked out. The reason for putting Naiad outside was so that we could stand well back and view the proposed cabin shape.


Here we have marked the forward end of the cabin aft of the mast.


And this is the aft end of the cabin and the cockpit coaming.


At this point we screwed a piece of wood onto the port side so that the cramp at the forward end of the starboard rubbing strake has some thing to clamp on to.


And here we are with the first timber clamped in place.


This is how the small piece of timber we screwed onto the port side works.


And here we have a sash cramp pulling in the forward end of the timber where the G-cramps cannot be used.


This is the upper part of the cabin side template with the profile cut out and it does look rather good.


Back inside the workshop for steaming the second timber. We suspended the timber from the roof trusses as there wasn't really enough room to use the supports we had used outside. It worked extremely well.


Finally, two timbers bent in place with cramps to hold the timbers whilst they get used to the bent shape. The real cabin sides are stacked against the hull and cannot be seen from this angle. Since it was pouring with rain by this point I was not going to lay them out for a photo as that would mean putting them outside.