The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.09.11 - Side Decks - Part 6

I did not expect to do any work on Naiad this weekend as I'm working on a major house project whilst Tina is away in Germany for a week. It's a surprise for her so I'm not going to tell you what I've been doing until after she gets back. There is a small chance that either she or one of her friends will read this and if I say what the surprise is then they may well tell her despite her being in a field near Bexbach at a special re-enactment. It's not beyond the bounds of possibly, she has send me a couple of text messages from there. But when she returns and finds out about the surprise, then you'll be able to read all about it on the Captain's Table.

Suffice it to say that I had to stop as I ran out of a certain thing of which I need 14 to complete the job and they'll not arrive until Monday or Tuesday.

Having tidied up all of the tools I no longer needed for the house project I set to on Naiad.

Firstly the rubbing strakes were removed.


As you can see they are very similar in bend. They should have been identical but there was a degree of spring-back and that has caused the difference.


The channels for the chain plates were cut into the gunwale, two on each side.


The will fit like this. There will be a spacer between the chain plate and the hull otherwise I'd be cutting right through the gunwale and I didn't want to do that.


I made four backing pads for inside the hull, this is one of them and you can see that I've cut a chamfer on one edge so that the pad will be able to be placed close to the the ribs.


Like this. No point in having unwanted gaps between things if you can avoid it.


The chamfer allows for the epoxy fillet on the side of the rib.


The the inner batten on the side deck was removed and the side deck placed upside down on supports over the edge of the hull.


The batten was carefully epoxied and screwed to the side deck. This procedure was repeated for the other side deck.


Both side decks with battens glued and screwed in place.


After a long break for a cup of tea, pooh picking the paddock and cutting the grass and weeds, I made a template.

This will be used to cut out the captive shelf access holes in the part of the cabin sides that extend below the deck. The hole will be marked in pencil, roughly cut out with a jigsaw and then trimmed with a follower bit in a router with the template clamped in position. The are three of these each side of the cabin and I surely did not want to try and cut these out exactly with a jigsaw. That would have been a mistake.