The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.09.21 - Rubbing Strake and a Tidy Up

Today's task, not at all surprisingly, was to fit the port rubbing strake. The same procedure was followed for the port side and after a couple of hours I had the strake in place. No point in rushing at this stage of the game. One of the main reasons for fitting the strakes now is to keep them curved as much as possible. While they were not on the boat the wood had a tendency to try and straighten out a bit. Putting them in place keeps the wood bent at the correct curvature. It was quite hard to get them back on the boat as they were removed to fit the side decks and have straightened out a little in that time. So, starting at the bow where the curve is tightest it was one screw at a time, carefully clamping the timber in place and at a distance down the hull being careful not to try to get it to bend too quickly.

And here is the result. Both rubbing strakes in place but not fixed permanently just yet.


Both strakes will need to be trimmed especially at the bow where the curvature and twist has caused the timber to rise up. Here you can see the port side...


...and here the starboard side.


The combination of gunwale and rubbing strake has made the boat a lot wider than in the original. The specification for the Fairey Falcon says that the beam is 5' 11" or 71 inches including the modest rubbing strake. With the combination that I have put in place the beam is now 6' 2" or 74" but I'd rather had a rubbing strake that was oversized.


This photo gives you an idea of the extra wide of the gunwale and rubbing strake.


I also took the time to clean out the inside of the boat. All the work that has been going on these past few weeks ha left a lot of sawdust and shavings in the hull that I've not cleaned out. Now that I can safely clamber into the hull I set to with vacuum cleaner and brush to rectify that situation.