The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.10.02 - Fitting the Poop Deck

Continuing on with the poop deck the first task of the day is to see how the beam has come on overnight. The cramps were removed and put away and the beam inspected.

As you can see by the way it is lying on the after deck, there is no spring- back at all. It is looking good at this stage.


It looks even better once it has been planned.


Two rests for the beam were made and screwed onto the coaming. They will be glued in position once the poop deck is completed.


These support the beam in such a way that it can be attached to the poop deck but the whole thing can be removed. I've decided to use latches to keep the poop deck secured to the boat rather than screws.



This is what the latches look like and they should arrive sometime next week. I will not make the mounts until they arrive as although I have the dimensions, I'd rather offer them up to the poop deck and make the mounts to size rather than make up the mounts to measure and find that there is something wrong.


The curves on the poop deck were checked for registration. As you can see from the above and from the next two photos, it is very good. There is no more the 1mm gap in the centre beam and that is where there is a slight dip in the beam itself.



So far, so good.


The poop deck needed to be glued to the front piece and to the centre beam. The beam was screwed as well as glued as there was no way to clamp the beam tightly against the plywood, but the front piece was just clamped. I'll add reinforcing fillets to the underside once the epoxy has cured.


You can see that the screws used this time are the final ones rather than temporary one as there will be no need to take this apart once the glue has set. All the top edges have also been rounded.


Slips of plastic were used where the poop deck would otherwise stick to the coaming, not a desirable outcome.


I have, however, prevented myself from doing any more to the hull since I would run the risk of knocking off one or more of the cramps if I did, so I returned to the rudder stock that was never quite finished.

The epoxy coating was rock hard but not at all smooth with runs and bits everywhere, so I used the utility knife blade trick to smooth it all out, or mostly.


Only a few shiny bit are left where there are lower bits of epoxy but since this doesn't have to be perfect it is good enough for me.


The rudder stock was hung from the workshop rafters so that I could apply another coat of epoxy over most of the surface in one go.


Hopefully this will not run or drip but there's not much I can do about airborne dust. That will just have to be scrapped off when the epoxy is hard and before I paint it.


There was a little epoxy left after I had coated the rudder stock so I used it up by coating the front part of the cabin inside and out. It's difficult to tell in this light but it made the wood look really nice.

Enough for today, any more work in there will kick up dust and ruin the epoxy coating so it's time to go and do the monthly account.


Yuck!