The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.11.20 - Time for a Break

I had one of those 'time for a break' moments just now, so I did. Well, it was lunchtime anyway and I had just succeeded with a small task that filled me with delight. More on that later.

I set to first time with a heat gun and spend about 45 minutes carefully drying the inside of the boat being sure not to get any of the wood too hot. I really should varnish some of the wood and then I'd not have to do this were it not for the fact that I'd only varnish the finished bits so the bits I wanted to work on would still be wet!

Having done that I removed all the cramps from the cabin upstands and trimmed the ends of the runners. Next up was the galley and I picked up the shelf that needed to be trimmed and looked around for somewhere to work on it. I put it down and spend some time clearing off my workbench. Then I trimmed the shelf.

And the delightful bit?

Well, the compression post, which sits under the mast, needs to be removable as the centre plate will not go in if the post is fixed. The top part is not a problem as you will see when I have installed it but the bottom is a little more tricky since it not only transfers the weight and downward force of the mast to the keel but also is the mounting point for the block round which the rope that raises and lower the centre plate will run. This means that it needs to be a good fit.

The obvious way to do this is by means of a mortice and tendon joint in the same way that the foot of the samson post was fitted but since the compression post is round, I decided that the mortice and tenon should also be round. The mortice will be easy once I have the correct sized drill bit. But cutting a round tenon or peg on the foot of the post was not as easy as it could have been if the tenon were rectangular.

Photos below...

The cabin upstands. The runners need more trimming and rounding but this time the runners are well fixed.

The clean workbench.

The saw moved to its own bench. I'll put wheels on this to make it easier to move.

The trimmed shelf and ...

...the first stage of the compression post. A hole cutter was used to make around slot about 20mm deep in the end of the post.

Then I used the band saw to very carefully cut off the ring of Oak you can see propped agains the post leaving a round tendon 30mm in diameter at the end of the post. And that is the bit that delighted me although I think I really need a need bandsaw blade. The black is caused by friction. Still the job is done. I think I'll open out the hole a bit to 10mm and sink it down to 50mm and the set a bronze rod into the hole for extra strength.