The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.11.25 - Heater and Compression Post

The tasks for the day were to modify the heater as the parts had arrived over the last two days and to do something about the compression post. After doing a few necessary household projects the modification of the heater took the rest of the morning not because the work was all that difficult but because I constantly had to remember not to scratch the shiny finish on the bits I was not modifying. This translated to padding everything with old T-shirts and resting the heater on softwood and not on concrete and other such things designed to prevent anything hard from touching the heater other then where I was working.

After lunch I made and fitted a fiddle rail to the galley shelf, fitted the newly modified heater and then worked on the compression post.


This is the first problem with the compression post. The shiny bit more or less in the centre of the photo is the remains of a screw. I discovered it with the drill bit which didn't do the drill bit a lot of good. I used a chisel to dig out the wood around the screw, as you can see, to give me enough room to pull it out with a pair of pliers. The I found another one with the drill bit so I moved the drill bit back a bit and guess what?


Another screw. I gave up with this idea at this point and made a foot that will screw onto this after I filled the holes up with epoxy.


Here is the new foot for the compression post.


And the part of the compression post that will fit into the foot.


Like this.


The post sits under the beam and should be pretty much vertical.


The top is held in place with a piece of plywood as you can see thing the photo. Don't be fooled. It looks like the compression post rises out of the boat but the bit you can see above the beam is the Samson post in the foredeck.

Nicely lined up, though.


The modified heater now bolted in place with the clips and air intake all easily accessible.


The fiddle rail is also fitted. This is not hugely strong, it will just stop anything put on the shelf from falling off.


This also needed to be made to locate the hole in the coachroof for the flue.


It goes like so...


...and pencil marks on the beam show the place where it should be positioned. The idea being that the flue is remove and the coachroof put on. This former is then placed against the underside of the coachroof lined up with the pencil mark and the position of the flue marked with a pencil. The hole for the through deck fitting can then be drilled and the flue fitted in the correct place.

Well, that's the theory.