The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.11.27 - More Coachroof

I had a lot to do today if I wanted to meet my target of having the coachroof in place although not fixed by the end of the weekend. The planing of the forward beam had been carried out yesterday and the compression foot had been glued meaning that this morning I could start by cutting out the biggest piece of plywood and getting that in place. That was followed by the aft-most part of the roof and companionway, then the front part of the coachroof and joining piece.


The front part of this beam had to be cut away at the same angle as the slope between the aft and fore parts of the coachroof.


It looks curved but it is in reality flat.


The compression post foot all cleaned up and sanded.


And here we go.


The first part of the coachroof cut out.


Cramps held it in place while the screws were added, the lines for the screws being drawn using the pencil gauge I made for the side decks weeks ago.


The planed beam had a somewhat different gauge since the pencil line had to be made with respect to the aft part of the beam as the front part had been planed and could not be used as a reference.


Looks like this from the top...


...and this from underneath.


And here we are, the first bit done including cutting the hole for the flue.



It fits quite well.

Time for a break...


After a short coffee break the two part of the coachroof either side of the companionway were added and the centre section of the beam removed.


I can now get into the boat without having to climb over the beam every time.

Time for another break.


After my tea break I cut out the front section of the coachroof.


Lead weights were used to hold it in place as there is no way to clamp it. The sloped section was also cut out and the first piece of the coachroof screwed in place this morning was trimmed away so that the sloped piece fits correctly against the beam.


And here she is with the coachrooves all fitted. The will need to be trimmed but that will be after they have been glued in place.


Not at all bad. The hatches have to be done now but that is a job for another day. Or two.


I also have to figure out how to push the bottom piece of this part forward so that it can be joined to the coachroof.


I started the heater to see how well it heated the boat and the answer is not very well as there are holes all over the boat. So I blocked the portholes and companion way with various things.


Old sheets come in very handy at times.

And that did the trick. The interior of the boat heated up very well. This is good as I want to epoxy the coachrooves in place and then turn the heater on to keep the boat warm enough that the epoxy cures well.