The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.12.04 - Chainplates Continued

The major aim for the day is the fitting of the remaining three chainplates. If there is time after that then I'll look at either fitting the gammon iron or starting the companion way hatch, the first part of which is going to be a pain probably literally.


I won't bore you with photos of the process, you all know how to drill holes and tighten bolts. Here, then, is the second of the four chainplates in position.


Before I took a tea break I rigged up the "air conditioning system". The business end of the tube was tied to the port light and a wire run from the battery in the workshop that powers the electric fence. When started the fan moved the air quite well but what came out of the bottom of the tube initially was cold air since the tube was cold. After a few minutes the tube had warmed up to about halfway along so I left it running whilst I had my tea.

Interestingly, although the fan is virtually silent, the tube magnifies the slight noise that it does make and there is a gently roaring noise coming from the tube.

I think I may mount the tube in front of the heater and run it down the cabin side so that the first foot or so of the tube is heated by the heat radiating from the heater itself. In the interests of safety I might also make that part of the system a metal tube so that there is no chance of it melting from getting too hot.


Chainplate number 3...


..and four.

You'll notice that these two chainplates also have screws in the top hole. A bolt is no use at this position as the beam shelf on the inside of the hull is in the way so #14 1 1/5" silicone bronze screws are used instead. There will be one on the other side but as the rubbing strake is still on the hull that side, the hole is not accessible. After the rubbing strakes have been glued into position an access hole will be drilled so that these screws can be removed if necessary and these holes will be plugged as well.

Time for lunch.

I decided that the time had come to deal with the gammon iron as it could get a little complicated. This job required much measurement and checking of measurements to ensure that I didn't cut into the hull. All went fairly well.

The gammon iron in position, more or less.


I'll have to do something about this, I think a padding of epoxy is called for, my carpentry is just not good enough to fashion padding out of wood.


The cuts made from the top. The measurement must have worked as the slots stopped right on the edge of the hull.