The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2017.02.05 - Covering the End Grain

I did do some physical work on Naiad yesterday but since it was just to trim the gammon iron mount I didn't bother posting anything about it. I did, however, order the copper/epoxy system with which the bottom of the hull will be painted and the binder coat that goes with it. The binder coat is called Safeguard TC and the copper/epoxy antifouling is called Synergy.

It is quite a lot more expensive than conventional antifouling, I paid £188 or so including delivery whereas a suitable, conventional antifouling would cost around £50 for the first year due to having to also buy a binder and then around £40 per year thereafter. However, the copper/epoxy should last 10 years without needing to be recoated meaning that it is very economical. Over 10 years a conventional antifouling would set me back around £400 at today's prices and that would not include the preparation of the old antifouling before the new is applied nor the tape, rollers, trays and so on.

This does mean that I will need to invert the boat again so that I can access all of the area to be covered in antifouling paint. The skeg also needs to be made and fitted before the antifouling goes on.

After some thought I decided that since the cradle I made to hold Naiad when I was repairing her is no longer suitable due to the superstructure, I will use a number of hay bales to support her whilst the skeg is fitted and the antifouling applied.

Today's first task was the covering of the end grain of the plywood in the superstructure.


The gammon iron mount tidied up a little.


Half-round hardwood moulding was used to cover the edges of the plywood.


The pieces were shaped as much as possible and then held in place using galvanised nails.


These nails will be hammered in fully once the epoxy has been applied to the moulding pieces.


The bare wood will be coated with the penetrating epoxy once the epoxy holding them in place has cured and will be varnished or painted depending on the position of the moulding.


The aft end of the pieces covering the sides of the coachroof required a little more fitting than the rest.


All in all it looks quite good. Coffee break!