2016.05.18 - Half the Ribs Made
The rib construction is a bit repetitive at the moment, create template adjust the bending jig, cut the laminates, glue the laminates, clamp the laminates in the jig, wait 10 hours or more, remove rib from jig and rinse and repeat. I’m halfway through the ribs with the sixth of twelve made and the seventh in the jig curing. The next rib uses the same templates as the current one and the last four all share the same template so there is only one more template to be made. These last four ribs are going to be level with the mast, two on either side. The mast will be taking quite a strain when sailing so I thought it would not hurt to double up the ribs here even though it probably doesn’t need it.
The ribs are turning out quite well not including the first one which I still haven’t tidied up yet, and below you can see a photo of an end piece cut off to fit and you can see just how well the laminating is turning out.
In the meantime I’m still keeping my eye open for parts that I’m going to need especially if they are at a good price. I bought a mast band complete with four bronze belaying pins which arrived this week for about half the price I would have need to pay if I had bought the band new and then without the pins, so I’m quite pleased about that.
Another thing that I’m feeling chuffed about is the method of fitting the ribs. The way that I fitted the half bulkheads is clumsy, awkward and subject to error especially when gauging the tension on the string being used to mark equal distances on each side of the hull. I went looking for a better way, something along the lines of a laser level and I found just what I needed in the form of a cross line laser level. I will fix this to one of the beams in the workshop above the boat pointing down and then move the boat around so that one of the lines is straight up and down the centre of the hull and the cross line is at the correct place for a rib. If I ensure that the boat is level fore and after which I can do by making sure that the waterline at the stern is at the same height as the waterline at the bow, then I can use a pencil to draw along the laser line across the hull as the position for the rib. Then move the boat down to the next rib and repeat.
This should mean that I get the ribs in the same place both sides. It wouldn’t matter if I used the string method except that even being out by 1/4 of an inch will mean that anything I cut for one side cannot be used as a template for the other so it will pay me to get it a nearly exactly the same both sides as I can.
A section through one of the lamented ribs. The vertical white lines show where the epoxy joint is. No voids or gaps there.