The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.07.10 - Long Time No Post

Posting the progress on Naiad has taken a back seat to other things recently but I have time for a quick update while I wait for the ribs alongside the mast position to cool down.

So what has been going on?

A lot of design work for one. Another is the installation of the bridge deck. Yet more ribs put in place and the first deck beams are laminated.

Photos and descriptions below.

One of the problems in any boat is that fact that virtually nothing is straight and when things are curved, how do you measure anything? One of the answers is to use a couple of battens that have a point on one end as shown here.


The battens are stretched across the bit to be measured with the points touching the required bits, the hull in this case where the bridge deck is going to be installed. You can just see the pencil line on the hull where the support will be mounted.


I use a spring clamp to hold the two battens together whist I carefully remove the entire thing from the hull being careful not to disturb it in any way.


And place them somewhere that I can measure between the two pointed ends.


The procedure was repeated at the point on the hull where the aft end of the bridge deck goes and the bridge deck cut out from one of the laminated oak planks that I made a while back. The fit was so good, about a millimetre smaller than the distance between the hulls, that I couldn't get it out again and had to get some assistance while I sprung the hulls apart a little. I cut about half an inch off the deck after that!


One of the things for which bridge deck will be used is as a seat facing forward with your legs inside the cabin. I propped the board on the centreboard case and adjusted the height until it felt comfortable. Very scientific. I had Tina sit on it as well to confirm the comfort level.


This correct comfort level turned out to be about 2 inches lower than the marks for the supports I had placed on the hull as you can see here, but that was easily rectified.


The bridge deck supports were glued and screwed in place.


A 3 inch stiffener was added to the front of the bridge deck and the ends of the bridge deck cut to fit past the aft most ribs.


Two Sapele uprights were cut to length and screwed to the centreboard case to add support to the bridge deck and also to enable things like locker doors to be added.


Here is the almost completed bridge deck. It has not be fastened in place yet as I have yet to fillet the aft ribs with epoxy.


The ribs that had not been glued in place were done and fillets of thickened epoxy made in the angle between the ribs and the hull.


Another view of the fixed and filleted ribs.


I bought a piece of 2" x 5' Sapele and cut it into 10 laminates. These were put in two bundles of 5 with small spacers between each strake one at either end and one in the middle and the bundles held together with three rubber bands. The two bundles were then placed into a plastic bag which was then filled with water and left for two weeks to become waterlogged. It was only meant to be two or three days but other things got in the way.

Today these were steamed and here you can see the bundles still with the rubber band an spacers in the plastic bag steaming away.


Another view of the steamer at work.


While the ribs were steaming one of the old deck beams put aside many months ago during the destruction phase was cleaned up ready to be used for laminating the forward desk beams. I bought a whole heap of Sapele from a local sawmill and got them to cut it up for me. Most of it will be used for the various beams, some of it will be used for the rubbing strakes and the rest is one inch square lengths for interior construction.


Here 5 of the laminates have been cut to the required oversize length, glued up and clamped to the former.


One of the bundles was removed, the bands cut and the spacers removed and the whole thing put into place and clamped while it cools down. The was repeated for the other bundle.


The second bundle of laminates now in place.


The upper ends of each bundle were pulled towards each other slightly to try and allow for the spring back that will occur when the strakes are unclamped.


Since I was on a roll as they say I decided to glue up the deck beam for the after deck as well. This uses the transom as the former.


And three sash cramps to hold the centre section in place while the epoxy cures.