2016.07.31 - The Internet, Table and Metalwork
I once heard tell that 90% of information found on the Internet is rubbish or wrong but there are gems to be found if you search long enough. I don't know much that is true today, it was more than 15 years ago that this was said. However, I found a gem the other day that I put into practise today. The video clip featured a method of making your varnish look really great starting from one that is bad. Part 1 can be found here and part 2 here. Now my work piece was epoxied not varnished and it wasn't that bad, but it was the first coat and that always gives a rough finish, so I used the technique that Master Shipwright Louis Sauzedde describes to great effect.
Talking of varnish, after more research on the Internet I'll be using 'Le Tonkinois' varnish. It has great reviews, although it needs lots of thin coats rather than fewer thicker coats that other varnish preparations require, but the main advantage for me is that it is solvent free. I'll be using it in a confined space and doing that with a solvent based varnish would not be good.
The varnish will not be applied inside the cabin until all the below deck structures are build and at that point the cabin sides and top will also be in place. Varnishing below decks is definitely not the thing to be doing with a solvent based preparation of any description!
The other task that I carried out today was the preparation of the centre plate. This has been painted with antifouling paint, then it seems to have been shaped to give a thinner leading and trailing edge and the bare metal coated in a black, sticky gunge. All this had to be removed, or as much as I could before it goes away to be galvanised.
The table top epoxy coating after having been scraped using the utility knife blade as described in the video clips mentioned above.
A different photo with the light shining on the few remaining shiny low spots that I'll not worry about since the next coat of epoxy will also introduce high and low spots which will need to be removed before any varnish is applied.
Here the second coat of epoxy has been applied to the top and sides. No more will be added here, two layers is enough but the bottom will also get two coats.
The centre plate with some of the black sticky stuff removed using a heat gun and a paint scraper.
Once the gunge has been removed a sanding disk on an angle grinder is used to get as much of the remaining paint and rust removed.
Both sides were scraped and sanded and this is the result on one of the sides. Not too bad.