The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2016.08.12 - Continuing With the After Deck

It was most certainly the correct thing to do yesterday when I decided to call it a day before I made a mistake. The next thing on my plan was to glue and screw the afterdeck into position and had I done so that would have been a major error. You see, I had forgotten about two things. The side decks and the cockpit coaming at the aft end of the cockpit. These two items have to rest on the aft beam but at the moment the after deck covers it all. Before I fix it in position I must first cut away a 9" piece from each side exposing half of the beam and then cut away a 9mm piece between these two for the aft coaming. That will be my first after deck task for the day since it is Friday and I have the entire day off.

But before I did that I decided that it would be a good idea to get some varnishing done and since we have a nice half container next to the workshop, long enough in which to hang the ash pole that will become the quant, I decided that this is what I would do. Two screws were put into the ends of the pole but not all the way in. I left half the screw out and that formed an attachment point for the string with which the pole was hung. Then, after a quick sanding, I set to with varnish and brush. Didn't take long so I put a second coat on the table top, also in the container, since the first coat is ready for the second coat.

Next up, as they say, was the continuing story of the after deck. The trimming and the backing pads. The story is below. Once the epoxy has cured a bit but before it has hardened I will remove the cleats and the horse so that they do not get epoxied in place. It is not time to mount them yet. However, before the deck is screwed and glued in place the epoxy for the backing pads must cure first. I will also coat the underside of the deck with epoxy.

So the after deck will be continued tomorrow.

But, since it is only 11am and I have the rest of the day to work on Naiad, I need to find something else to construct. In the work room I have the solar panel, battery, switch panel, master switch and battery charger all wired up so that the battery is kept charged. It is, however, just laying around as you can see below. Time, I think, to make a box for these things.

Here you can see the recess for the side deck and the cockpit coaming. If I had not remembered to do that and stuck it down, imagine how difficult it would have been to correct the mistake. This would have classed as a major error.


A different angle showing how the coaming will sit on the beam.


The cleats have very long legs and I will need to add several more backing pads in order to reach the threaded section. I could have bought ones that had a shorter leg but these were on offer and were considerably cheaper than new ones with the shorter leg length. The photos shows how far two thicknesses of plywood reach down the leg.


Here you can see that I need to make three more pads.


And where they are. Two sets, one for each cleat.


They stack up quite high!


The large baking pads were screwed in place and the holes for the cleats and horse drilled as required.


Checking for fit. and making sure that the pads are not too large and foul the hull.


I decided to add another backing pad to each leg of the horse as you can see here.


Then it got tricky. The large pads were covered in thickened epoxy and screwed back in place. The three high backing pads were epoxied and put in place and the cleat mounted (upside-down) and the nut tightened up to hold the pads in place whilst the epoxy cures. The underside pads for the horse were treated in the same manner, and here it became very tricky with just two hands. The upper pads were also epoxied and the horse mounted in place, again upside-down trying not to dislodge on or other of the upper and lower pads as well as locating both legs in the correct holes from the underside. Finally the nuts for the horse were tightened up.


The deck was put back the right way up and left for the epoxy to cure. Time for a coffee!


The somewhat Heath Robinson boat electrics.


The solar panel in its wooden frame is proped up at the east facing window.


This is the front panel of the electrical box. The rest of the box is currently gluing up in the workshop and I'll need to find some small brass hinges and screws. The panel will be varnished even though it's only plywood and the hole for the battery charger display will be chamfered a little. The choice was to either mount the charger on the front of the panel and have it protrude quite a long way out from the box as well as having to drill holes for the wires or to mount it on the inside so that the wires are inside and have the display section poke out through a hole. Obviously I went for the latter option. One of the tasks for the weekend will be to complete the box as far as I can without the hinges.


Here you can see the Ash pole hanging in the slings for varnishing and also the table top. The pole is ready for another coat of varnish, the table will be tomorrow, I think.